Wednesday, December 15, 2010

My Review for 'Mercy' by Rebecca Lim

Book Description from GoodReads:

An electric combination of angels, mystery and romance, MERCY is the first book in a major new paranormal series.

There's something very wrong with me. I can't remember who I am or how old I am, or even how I got here. All I know is that when I wake up, I could be any one. It is always this way. There's nothing I can keep with me that will stay. It's made me adaptable. I must always re-establish ties. I must tread carefully or give myself away. I must survive.

Mercy doesn't realise it yet, but as she journeys into the darkest places of the human soul, she discovers that she is one of the celestial host exiled with fallen angel, Lucifer. Now she must atone for taking his side. To find her own way back to heaven, Mercy must help a series of humans in crisis and keep the unwary from getting caught up in the games that angels play. Ultimately she must choose between her immortal companion, Lucifer, and a human boy who risks everything for her love.

****

Mercy, who is the main character (thus the title of the book), has no idea who she is or who her next human host will be. The only thing she knows is that there is a reason why she is placed within these people... it's because they need her help. Once her job is done she is moved on to another person. But when she inhabits the body of a teenage girl, named Carmen, she soon finds herself involved in a search for a missing girl. Partnered with the missing girl's brother, Ryan, Mercy uses her skills to aid him, even though being near him stirs up something inside her that she doesn't understand. Meanwhile, her dreams are becoming invaded by a man, named Luc, who warns her to be aware of danger and to keep moving. But from what? 


I really enjoyed reading Mercy. It is definitely not what I had expected, but I still liked it none the less. The first chapter or two was a bit confusing, but once I got through that point it was smooth sailing. I found that my reaction to the beginnings confusion was similar to other books I have read, and may I say that these books I had also found myself a bit confused with became some of my all time favourites! Although at the end there were some questions and things left unsolved, and I can only hope that they will be resolved in the next instalments. 

I really liked this book, It had ordinary teen dramas and social life mixed with a bit of action, problem solving and mystery. I really love the cover for this book, too. It's quite eye catching with the cover themed in different shades of blue. I wish I had heard about this book for more then a month before it came out, because it is a book worth some anticipation. Well, at least I can look forward to the next books, Exile and Muse, to come out. 


Order of Books in the series:
-Mercy #1 (OUT NOW!)
-Exile #2 (2011)
-Muse #3 (2011)
-*Book to still be named* #4


-Mercy Books Facebook page link: http://www.facebook.com/mercybooks


Publisher: HarperCollins Australia
Source: Gifted
Book Format: 280 pages, Paperback

3 comments:

  1. Great review. Have you seen the cover for Exile, it is my waiting on wednesday pick and it is gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, the cover for EXILE is gorgeous, so is the cover for MUSE. And thanks for the comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous cover !! Great review : you made me want to read this book :)

    ReplyDelete